Friday, June 8, 2012

China 2012-Zhangjiajie and Qingdao

When I planned my trip to the mountains of Zhangjiajie in China, my hopes was to see the breathtaking mountains from the movie Avatar, and walk on the glass walkway built last year against the cliffs. What I saw and experienced was way beyond my expectations. My proudest achievement was climbing the 999 stairs up to Heaven's Gate. Its a natural formation in the mountains with a hole large enough that a jet flew through it years ago. But just to get there was a bit of a thrill. You start with a 30 minute cable car ride into the valley and then ascending up high into the mountains. That's followed by a 30 minute bus ride across winding roads that take you to the entrance of Heaven's Gate. As I climbed the 999 steps, the weather became very foggy. As I approached the top, the fog rolled in and I couldn't see the top, let alone anyone within 10 feet of me. Already pretty tired, I turned and took a few steps down just as a much older man walked by me headed to the top. Hey, if he could do it, why can't I right? I turned and started back towards the top. The weather started to clear and I realized I was only a few minutes away from reaching the top. When I did and looked down and out over the mountains, it was a great feeling that's hard to describe. But it felt great! Going back down the mountain, we rode a glass elevator 1000 feet down to the bus terminal and more winding roads and finally the cable car. I also did get to walk on the glass walkway. Had some trouble finding it in the thick fog. Pics to come later.
About 4000 feet high

The view of Heaven's Gate just as the weather cleared and I started back up to the top. It took me 25 minutes from bottom to top.

Visited the Tsingtao Brewery in Qingdao and made my private label bottle. Across the street from the brewery is Beer Street where you can sample many international beers and sample some of Qingdao's best seafood.

Hooters in Beijing. Why am I smiling? They have great hamburgers and fries...AND Tsingtao beer.

1 comment:

celia said...

Congratulations for making it to the top. Wow what an experience. Hey I was not born yesterday, you should have a large smile. Can't wait to see more of your wonderful trip.